Saturday, February 3, 2018

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/3/18

I don't meant to go off on a rant here, but ...

... there's something about that Gain advertisement that bothers me.

NOTE:  What with the big game this weekend and the fact that many many folks tune in just for the commercials and the halftime show, it seemed like an appropriate time to rant against a spot that's currently on the air.

NOTE to the NOTE:  In retrospect, there are a lot of my weekly rants that focus on advertisements (don't get me started on those cartoon bears who discuss the shitballs sometimes left in their fur when they use the wrong toilet paper) ... but in case you missed it, my name is Troy and I'm a TV addict -- which means that sometimes I'm just forced to be captive to the whims of the denizens of Madison Avenue.

DISCLAIMER:  Whilst searching for an image and the links to accompany this post, I discovered that there are others who also consider this ad to to be distasteful ... but it appears that they are mostly homophobes who seem to be triggered by the appearance of a unicorn in a national ad.

Anyways ... back to my concern.  I understand that, generally speaking, whatever happens underneath the animal outfit STAYS underneath the animal outfit, but I still find it creepy that the back half's potentially unpleasant experience is "saved" by the fact that he can't help but start sniffing all around the butt of his unicorn-partner and that he's transported to a happier place because said top ... I mean "front" ... used Gain to wash his clothes.  And I'll tell ya -- what pushes me over the edge isn't necessarily that the bottom .. .I mean "back" ... finds himself in a fresh smelling situation, it's just the way that guy grabs a hold of the clothes in his face and takes a big "hit" as if he was a teenager sniffing glue in his friend's garage.

All I'm saying is that SURELY there are better ways to get this message across ...

THE AD IN QUESTION:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFv4EdAukY

SPEAKING OF BAD COMMERCIALS AND THE AFOREMENTIONED BIG GAME:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14647105/ranking-10-worst-super-bowl-commercials-15-years

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE JUST WATCHING FOR THE IN-BETWEEN FUN:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/super-bowl-commercials-video-ad-list-watch-eagles-patriots