Sunday, May 7, 2017

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 5/7/17

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

How we just might be sending a local boy to the 2020 Olympics ... for skateboarding ... 'cause that's an Olympic thing now.

Just in case you're not "in the know", all five of the proposed events in the accompanying image WERE approved and WILL be part of the games in Tokyo in a few years.  Some traditionalists are upset that it's a transparent ploy to get the notoriously-over-it-millennials excited about the quadrennial events, but I say "hey -- when you gotta shred, you gotta shred".

Note:  I hope I'm using the word "shred" right.  I am not a skater boi, but I did see the x-games on TV once.  And some of my hometown friends right out of high school started as skaters before graduating to the BMX scene.

Also ... full disclosure:  as someone who should have technically flunked his senior year for skipping too many gym classes (thankfully, Mr. Heilman decided to look the other way and let me go to college in spite of my avoiding my fitness related responsibilities), I pass no judgment as to what should or what shouldn't be pursued in the arena of world competition.

So anyway ... here's hoping that SoFlo-ridian Alessandro Sorgente (see more on him in the link below/to follow) gets to represent on the half pipe, or the full pipe, or the double pipe or whatever percentage of pipe will be skated on in Tokyo ...

LOCAL BOY COULD BE GOING TO TOKYO:
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/lifestyles/this-lake-worth-teen-skateboarder-might-compete-2020-olympics/EWI8eFYvw3U0zmFsdbNxdN/

NEW FOR 2020!  COMING SOON TO TOKYO!:
https://tokyo2020.jp/en/news/notice/20160804-01.html

RANDOM OLYMPIC SPORTS:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/05/sport/olympics-strangest-events-trnd/index.html