Sunday, April 23, 2017

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 4/23/17

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

The expansion of the "Live Fresh" program from a county up north down into the FTL.

Lookit, Ft Lauderdale has more than its share of homeless people.  And, after nearly a dozen years in Chicago, I would expect that to be the case.  I always marveled at how many homeless stayed in the Windy City through all the seasons.  Would I ever to be without a home, I'd like to think that I'd spend my first bit of time doing whatever I had to to get to someplace where seasonal temps were a bit more forgiving.

Then, once I did get to somewhere like where my new here is, I'd have to deal with the trade off -- seasonal temps can get pretty darn warm, and what with my tendency toward perspiration (sometimes in the summer months I can be in a puddle of my own sweat just sitting outside reading [reading strenuously, sure, but still]), I would be far far away from that oh-so-fresh feeling.

Enough of my hypothetical homeless scenario, the reality is that there are many in that situation day in and day out -- which is why a local charity does something kind of simple.  They haul a mobile showering station of six stalls that drives around to the free meal sites so that some of the nearly 2300 homeless in the county (approximately 800 of whom are not in overnight shelters, according to estimates) can hop in the shower, and they uphold their mission of helping the homeless to live "fresh", because "Feeling Revitalized Encourages Sustainable Happiness".

Simple ... yet effective.  Kudos to those who are making a difference, one shower at a time.

LOCAL INFORMATION:
http://livefreshinc.org/hsf/

SOURCE OF THE DATA POINTS IN THE POST:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-homeless-mobile-showers-20170215-story.html

SOLVING HOMELESSNESS:
http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/ending-homelessness/proven-solutions/