Monday, April 24, 2017

Random Memorial for Monday 4/24/17

Gone but not forgotten:  Joe Miller.

So here's the thing.  I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Facebook is hard.  People can go a little crazy on it.  It seems like not everyone gets that one is free to scroll and that one is NOT obligated to comment -- or even like -- content.

Similarly, not everyone gets that, for those whose content you don't want to see, there are options -- from simply "hiding" posts to passively telling FB that you want to unfollow someone but remain friends to aggressively blocking a contact so that you never have to see or hear of them ever again (although friends of friends will still occasionally post pics of the blocked -- diluting your overall attempts at ghosting [allegedly -- I mean not that that's happened to me or anything]).

I know I'm not everybody's flavor.  And I'm 150% okay with that.  If you don't like what I have to say -- if you think I cross a line -- if you get confused by what I'm posting -- if you are unhappy with the volume of stuff I share -- if you can't take me -- then go ahead and exercise your right to remove me from your wall by any of the choices listed above.

What you don't do?  Randomly post these words to me:  "get a job".  Which brings me back to Joe Miller.  Apparently, we were Facebook friends.  And apparently, he felt the need to share that piece of wisdom on my wall.  I was puzzled by his commentary, as I do have a job -- with the same company since 2004, so it's more like a career.  I surmised that it was probably his way of expressing that he was unsatisfied with what he was seeing from me on the Facebook.

The first thing I did was try to figure out who Joe Miller was, because sometimes people end up on your "friends" list and you're not really sure how they got there.  With a name like Joe Miller, which is only just a few notches away from John Doe, there's also a really good chance that the Joe Miller with whom you are connected is NOT actually a Joe Miller from your past life.  Indeed, this was some younger Joe Miller who was also from my hometown of Lebanon but who was a friend of a friend and many years younger than my usual people.

Armed with that knowledge, I had no problem making my Facebook a Joe-Miller-free zone.  He whom I blocked, after replying to his "get a job" post with a "thanks for the offer, but are you giving hand or blow ... regardless, I'll meet you in the back alley as usual" ('cause, you know, this homey don't play), you will NOT be missed.

YOU CAN TAKE CONTROL WITHOUT BEING A DICK:
http://mashable.com/2015/01/10/facebook-news-feed-tips/#B974qcsm7SqC

AH FACEBOOK ... SO ENCOURAGING OF PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOR:
http://mashable.com/2014/06/27/social-media-passive-aggressive/#rNYEtKxfHaqR

I STAND BY MY ORIGINAL (AND EVER TIMELESS) RANT:
https://capcognition.blogspot.com/2011/07/random-soapbox-for-saturday-72311.html