Saturday, April 22, 2017

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/22/17

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... my damn Android phone is going to get me arrested before too long.

It turns out that, once upon a time, the fine folks at the Google recognized that the need for people to protect their cell phones meant that a homescreen lockdown would be a valued feature BUT that emergency situations would dictate that a caller would, on rare occasion, need to quickly grab a phone and dial 9-1-1 unencumbered by any security features, so they made it easy to do so.

Too too easy it seems.

Here's why -- my old man exercise routine includes one hour walks in the 'hood (on good days, sometimes in the morning AND at lunch -- but never in the evening so as to avoid being murdered by accident [or on purpose]) ... and it seems that my locked down Android phone junk-dials 9-1-1 all too often.  (I carry my phone in my front pocket and it's too hot to wear underwear down here, so ... you know ... it's always a front private area thing as opposed to a back one).

And just to clarify ... unlike that silly lady in Washington (see link below/to follow), I'm not going to be arrested for discussing something illegal on my walks (I use the quiet time to calm the voices in my head, so at the very most, my lips might be moving but there's nothing audible that the cell phone will pick up), but if there are any "phones that call wolf" laws out there, I'm for sure breaking all of them on the regular.

Should I be arrested, I'm fully gonna blame the google people during my trial ...just sayin'!

THE AFOREMENTIONED WASHINGTON CASE:
https://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/17/woman-arrested-after-butt-dialing-911/21453594/

I AM NOT ALONE WITH THIS PROBLEM:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-g-pro/286677-too-easy-accidentally-call-911-lock-screen.html

ACTUALLY, IT'S A REALLY BIG PROBLEM ABOUT WHICH I WAS UNAWARE:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/05/living/butt-dialing-911-emergency-feat/index.html