Saturday, March 4, 2017

Random Soapbox for Saturday 3/4/17

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... it's Lent 2017!

(Note:  because I fell seriously behind on my posting schedule, you may be reading this closer to Memorial Day than Easter, but with the magic of "back-dating" on the blog, let's just pretend that this was actually posted during the season.)

Since it IS Lent (see disclaimer above), I'm a-goin' to bring back an old chestnut ... and I'm a-goin' to choose to RAVE each and every Saturday of Lent instead of ranting and only raving once a month (which is my usual shtick in case you are unaware).

My first rave of the 2017 Lenten season?  Well that has to go to my regulars behind the counters at my local gas stations/convenience stores who put a smile in my day because they take the time to recognize me.  As you may know, I work from home ... and that means I have made a special effort to be sure to get out and about on a walk most days -- sometimes twice a day -- with different routes through different neighborhoods an different stops at different establishments for different libations along the way.

And knowing that that experience may be the only face-to-face live interaction I have on any particular workday, it warms my heart a bit when the guy or gal behind the counter remembers me -- like the little Latin guy at the gas station in the ghetto who knows that I suddenly stopped bringing my bike in with me for my drink on Monday afternoons or Saturday mornings (it's in the shop ... and has been for awhile) ... or the Puerto Rican firecracker who knows that Saturday afternoons are my real Coke day when I treat myself for getting coke-zero products throughout the week ... or the Eastern European lady at the closest 7-11 who calls me (and everyone else) "dar-link" as she re-reminds me that the coca-cola specials are 2 for $3 every time I spend $2 on just one.

Convenience store friends o' mine ... thanks for making me feel special each and every time I stop by!

ALL HAIL THE CONVENIENCE STORE CLERK:
https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/work-and-health-41/occupational-health-news-507/convenience-store-clerks-646417.html

CELEBRATE THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU SMILE:
http://everydaygyaan.com/the-little-things-that-make-me-smile/

COME TO THINK OF IT, WE SHOULD ALL BE NICE TO EACH OTHER:
http://thoughtcatalog.com/kiki-coffman/2015/05/9-kind-reasons-to-be-nice-to-everyone-even-the-jerks-who-are-mean-to-you/