Saturday, February 25, 2017

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/25/17

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... what's with all the segregation going on at the construction sites in the neighborhood?

As you may know, I get out and about in my 'hood up to twelve times a week for an hour at a time, as walking is my current main exercise (especially with me being a remote worker).  As you may *not* know, many of those paths take me past several construction sites because there's a building boom going on around town (at least for tall buildings with lots of condo space).

As far as I can tell as an outsider looking in from the edge of the road (since they closed all the sidewalks for the work), they are now set up the way that Hersheypark once was (and maybe still is), with different colored shirts for different "levels" of employee -- either that or the various ethnic groups shop at different neon shirt/vest stores.  And the divisions are most obvious when my walk coincides with my lunch break -- and theirs.  Different colored shirts with their different colored skins and different languages are all gathered under their own different trees in such a way that makes me want to suggest an icebreaker potluck meal just to create a little United Nations style goodwill on site.

By the way -- I don't doubt for one minute that the work being done is (potentially) dangerous and probably back-breaking.  I'm just passing along an observation.  Speaking of which, not necessarily possessing any skill sets that would be of use on that other side of the fence, I do already know that there is one role I *could* play.  I've also noticed that there's always one or two older white guys off in the corner just watching everybody work.  *That* is a construction zone skill set I most definitely have!

SEEING AS HOW WE HAVE A SHORTAGE, I GUESS THERE ARE BIGGER PROBLEMS:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/careers/fl-florida-construction-worker-shortage-20150910-story.html

ONE THING I DIDN'T SEE AT ANY OF THE SITES WAS A FEMALE:
https://www.osha.gov/doc/topics/women/

TRIED TO FIND A GUIDE FOR HERSHEY COLOR CODED SHIRTS AND FOUND THIS:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/06/the_hotel_hersheys_circular_di.html