Sunday, February 26, 2017

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 2/26/17

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

... the fact that the cost of a postage stamp is now 49 cents.

Or, as I learned today when I researched the companion links to accompany this post, the fact that the cost of a postage stamp is now *back* to 49 cents.

I could blame it on the "forever" stamp concept ... or maybe on the fact that a book of stamps tends to last multiple years instead of weeks like when I was younger  (note to self:  I do believe I still owe Tracey F a Christmas card from this past year) ... or maybe 'cause emails and 2017 and all ... but the truth is that I didn't even know that the price used to be 49 cents, and then dropped two pennies, and now is back to where it was.  Apparently that was only the third time ever that postage went down ... and the last time was back in 1919 ... and again, I somehow missed all that drama (the 2016 drama I mean when it dropped, not the 1919 drama as I wasn't around then).

So ... just in case you don't want to end up as one of those out of touch politicians who doesn't know how to answer questions like "how much does a carton of milk cost" and such, now you know.  And you're welcome.

SO NOW YOU ARE IN THE KNOW:
http://time.com/money/4639446/forever-stamps-price-hike/

AND IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY USED TO ALREADY BE THIS PRICE:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/08/news/companies/stamp-price-decrease/

AND IN CASE YOU DON'T THINK USPS SHOULD STILL BE AROUND ANY MORE:
http://www.businessinsurance.org/10-reasons-the-post-office-should-die-already/