Saturday, October 20, 2018

Random Soapbox for Saturday 10/20/18

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... where on God's green earth are people of a certain age supposed to purchase new CDs upon their release now that the kids are all ituned and mp3d and spotified and digitized?

Hint:  it is NOT the local Target, seeing as how the employee at that store in our town looked at me blankly when I asked where I'd find Martina McBride's newly released Christmas album that just came out on Friday, before sputtering, "well, we haven't even opened ANY Christmas things yet, but you'll find all the new releases here" as he gestured toward one solitary display cube.  Although, heck, calling it a "cube" implies four sides ... and although it did have four sides, only ONE of them held CDs.

I mean of course I know that I won't find a Camelot ... or The Wall ... or Sam Goody ... or Tower Records ... and I don't even know where the closest FYE is (which, as I recall, sells more random merch and less music based on the last one I was in).  And, as of July 1 of this year, Best Buy no longer lets you buy the best CDs as they come out.  But I thought I was safe at a Target -- I mean, as far as I last knew, they used to have *special* releases with *bonus* tracks on them as recently as a few years back.  It looks like my only choice now is the Walmart, where I'll be headed later this week to get my Martina on.  (And thank goodness that rednecks in their redneck trucks still listen to music the old CD way ...)

A NEW CD, A NEW COOKBOOK *AND* A HOLIDAY TOUR:
http://www.cmt.com/news/1797884/martina-mcbride-details-holiday-album-and-tour/

IT'S NOT *AT* THE TARGET BUT IT IS *ON* THE TARGET.COM:
https://www.target.com/p/martina-mcbride-its-the-holiday-season/-/A-54085069?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1246978&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Entertainment+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Entertainment&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=s&device=c&location=9011972&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1ojglNGY3gIVAaeGCh35VAucEAQYASABEgI7B_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

WHERE ONE CAN STILL BUY CDs (ALLEGEDLY):
http://time.com/money/5329310/best-buy-no-cds-where-to-buy/