Saturday, September 15, 2018

Random Soapbox for Saturday 9/15/18

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I may have finally had my #metoo moment, courtesy of an interaction at a Pembroke Pines Publix this week.

Obligatory disclaimer:  In no way is that which follows intended to diminish the experiences of those who have come forward to share their stories of abuse in order to advance a movement.

Additional note:  My actual #metoo moment probably traces back to an as yet unshared family secret from my time in Schuylkill Haven when I was in elementary school in the 70's ... or my dad's wife of the 80's obsession with me giving her massages in the middle of the night ... or my experience in a creepy repressed cousin's church theatre group when I took an 18 month sabbatical from college in the 90's.  Those are different stories I'm saving for another day ... or for my book deal, should it ever materialize.

Anyways -- there we were in the dairy section, perusing the cheeses, when an employee who was almost a senior citizen but definitely had been in AARP for a number of years sidled up next to us and pointed to the Cabot's Vermont Sharp cheese pictured in the accompanying image.  He announced, almost conspiratorially, that "that one puts lead in MY pencil".  Then, as he walked away, he looked back over his shoulder and added, with a cheery guffaw, "... except I don't have anyone to *write* to"!

My reply was to state that I had no reply ... although I will admit that I did start to feel a little dirty ... and we decided to not buy the cheese.

THE REAL #METOO MOVEMENT:
https://metoomvmt.org/

IT PUTS LEAD IN YOUR PENCIL (WINK-WINK, NUDGE-NUDGE):
https://www.cabotcheese.coop/product/sharp-cheddar-cheese-dairy-bar

AND DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ABOUT WHAT NANCY DID AT THIS STORE:
http://www.publix.com/