Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 8/8/18

Free-range parenting.

Used in a sentence, "Admittedly, I'm not all up to speed when it comes to the mommy blogs, so it took a recent episode of 'What Would You Do' (better known as 'What Would *New Jersey* Do', seeing as how ABC does not let John Quinones travel but once every other season), to learn about the modern concept of free-range parenting."

Lookit -- to the best of my knowledge, I have no kids running around out there (unless anyone from the early 90's wants to inform me of something -- and if so, I guess they'd no longer be kids in need of any parenting by me or mine), so maybe I have little to no right to comment on what seems to be the pendulum swinging WAY to the opposite side of the "helicopter parenting" that was so prominent in my generation.  And since I'm being super self-aware, it's also true, that when it comes to the puppies and kitties who have brought joy into our homesteads through the years, my style is definitely more the witch in 'Into the Woods' (i.e. "couldn't you stay content ... safe behind walls ... as I ... could not").

I get both sides of the debate -- *kudos* to those who can raise independent children who are able to think for themselves who can ultimately navigate this world informed from their real-life experiences that they've had ... but *concerns* to the fact that knowing that free range chickens lead to happier chickens that are ultimately tastier than locked up chickens might also lead to the logical conclusion that free range children also end up tastier to guys in white vans looking to give away candy ... and so I definitely get that the answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

So you do you.  But know that if I run into your abandoned child, I'll have to evaluate to see whether your kid can truly handle this all too real world into which you have sent them ...

THAT WHICH WAS THE IMPETUS FOR THIS POST:
https://abcnews.go.com/WhatWouldYouDo/examines-controversial-free-range-parenting-style/story?id=57223293

IS IT STRATEGY FOR RAISING BETTER KIDS ... OR CHILD ABANDONMENT?:
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/04/free-range-parenting/557051/

IN CASE YOU WANT TO EXPLORE THIS PHENOMENON:
http://www.freerangekids.com/faq/