Saturday, June 9, 2018

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/9/18

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

[remember, raving at least once a month instead of ranting every Saturday is better for my health]

... I'm not mad at ya, Freeform's version of Marvel's 'Cloak & Dagger'.  Not one bit.  Not even EIGHT bits, each of them explained below:

I'm not mad at that first big scene that opened up the show (I thought it was going to be something I watched in the background and I couldn't look away) ... I'm not mad at that distinctly New Orleans setting (it's a town to which we owe an overdue visit, so it's nice to see familiar places) ... I'm not mad at it's excellent use of music (even if it did pluck the emotional heartstrings and cause a tear or two at times) ... I'm not mad at Gloria Reuben making the most out of any scene she's in (in a quiet subtle powerful way, not in a scenery-chewing way) ... I'm not mad at seeing a novel origin story (as I'm not familiar with the source comics) ... I'm not mad at the courage to upend stereotypes (the *white* girl's from the wrong side of the tracks instead of the black boy this time) ... I'm not mad at the acting chops on those youths (especially that Brie-not-Brie-but-maybe-better-than-Brie Brie Larson lookalike) ... AND I'm *especially* not mad at the excellent handling of the concept of coping with loss that seems to be the undercurrent of the show's episodes so far.

I have a feeling I AM going to get mad at the fact that there are only 10 hours total in the story ...

YES PLEASE -- BUT ONLY 10 EPISODES?:
https://freeform.go.com/shows/marvels-cloak-and-dagger

YES PLEASE -- PUT THEM IN THE NEXT MOVIE:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/7/17435554/cloak-and-dagger-review-marvel-mcu-superhero-comics-olivia-holt-aubrey-joseph

THE MARVEL ONSLAUGHT CONTINUES:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/09/marvel-cinematic-universe-every-upcoming-mcu-movie-and-tv-show