Saturday, June 23, 2018

Random Soapbox for Saturday 6/23/18

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... although I understand the concept of counter-programming in the television world, I was more than a bit surprised to see that the NFL network was trying to steal away the RuPaul's Drag Race crowd this past Friday.

But sure enough ... there it was in my TV Guide ... captured in print and memorialized now forever in this photo. During the reunion special edition featuring Ru and her girls, the NFL network was trying to engage the same audience by airing an hour long documentary on "the tuck rule".

I get that there are over 500 channels and a lot of cord-cutters and how every set of eyes on a program helps sell advertising and so on and so on and so on ... but in a TV world where there are a lot of efforts to consciously promote a world full of inclusion where everyone is equally respected, the NFL's strategy to try to take away viewers smacks of unfair play.  I'm guessing I should blame the commissioner (or Colin K, whom I also know to be a popular NFL scapegoat).

DISCLAIMER:  There exists the probability that "the tuck rule" in football might be something other than "the tuck rule" in drag.  To be fair, though, my first hand experience with football was limited to a single pee wee practice back in the early eighties when I was super-super-tiny.

ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMER:  #teamEureka

THE SCIENCE OF COMPETITIVE PROGRAMMING:
https://etsumcom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212867867-TELEVISION-PROGRAMMING

THE NFL's TUCK RULE:
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/nfl-tuck-rule-game-new-england-patriots-oakland-raiders-what-if

THE RUPAUL's TUCK RULE:
http://www.vh1.com/shows/rupauls-drag-race