Saturday, January 6, 2018

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/6/18

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... I *want* to like Fox's 'The Four' ... except that I just don't get the appeal of DJ Khaled and his ilk.

I will be completely honest ... maybe I'm simply too old to appreciate the younger folk ... but I just can't get over the fact that said big boned DJ seems to pronounce every word one syllable at a time like he had some vocal coach who had had just taught him how to say it prior to the broadcast (yo!) -- except he sometimes put a little too much emPHAsis on the wrong syllABle.

Plus I know that the younger generation is big on the artifice of "hype" to make a career out of being famous for doing nothing at all ... but I can tell you when your only contribution to a song is to shout out your own name over and over again ... or to tell people to stand up and/or to raise your hands and/or to make some noise ... I can't quite understand the "artistic" contribution.  (And I'm contrarian enough to stay seated silently with my hands down 'cause I trust my own judgment as to when to engage in any of that activity and I don't need no fool to instruct me to do so ...)

And lookit -- I love me a cliche as much as any other -- so if that's all that the "judges" have to offer every time they open their mouths, then ... whatever ... but I kind of wished that the show offered me a way to view it with the judges muted..  Just sayin'!

SO .. THIS GUY HAS BEEN AROUND AWHILE:
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/music/dj-khaled-s-journey-of-success-started-long-before-snapchat-8203155

IF ONLY THEY WOULD ALLOW YOU TO MUTE THE JUDGES:

http://www.thefourmusic.com/

A SCHOLARLY INVESTIGATION INTO THE HYPE MAN:
https://www.vibe.com/featured/hype-man-history-flavor-flav-spliff-star/