Sunday, February 5, 2017

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 2/5/17

What San Francisco is talking about this week ...

"Signs, signs, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

I was in town for the annual "chasing the Super Bowl" tradition (more about that in a few posts), returning ten years after the initial visit to this iconic city, and I have to tell you that I was a little overwhelmed by all the signs I saw everywhere on this trip.

Maybe it was all the old decrepit buildings in which I found myself, but the signs as shown in this image were the most alarming.  It looks like it's a requirement of one of CA's famed propositions (government oversight sure is alive and well in this state), and the signs have to be posted to warn people that the cancer might be lurking in the air ... or the walls ... or chasing you down the street -- particularly if the building or facility once permitted people to smoke in it (before they got around to banning that activity -- it really is a nanny state).

I was on only in the city this time for two days, but I have an appointment with my doctor upon my return home to try to figure out how many years I shaved off my life just by setting foot in the state ...

I BELIEVE THE SIGNS I SAW WERE RELATED TO THIS PROPOSITION:
https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/general-info/proposition-65-plain-language

ALTHOUGH IT'S HARDER THAN EVER TO SMOKE IN SAN FRAN:
http://www.citylab.com/politics/2013/01/soon-only-place-smoke-san-francisco-will-be-alcatraz/4432/

SPEAKING OF SIGNS IN CALIFORNIA:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/snarky-california-road-signs-aim-to-change-behavior/