Saturday, January 28, 2017

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/28/17

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... the government shouldn't be in the business of fooling its citizens.

And to those of you who have tired of the ongoing negativity against PresiDOLT Trump, I should probably state up front that this is NOT a commentary on things happening on the national front (although I DO have opinions about that [of course] so stop back on Wednesday to hear them ...)

My complaint this time is local ... VERY local.  Specifically, my issue is with these two public trash cans and truck number 6756 that emptied them on a recent Tuesday afternoon between 1:30 and 2 on 13th street when I was on my lunch walk.  (It's about the DETAILS, people.)

In case you can't tell, the one with the blue cover is for cans and bottles only, and it's in that universal color blue that implies "the items placed in this container will be recycled".  It's about being a decent citizen, and about having some small influence on the catastrophe-to-be that is the after-effect of America's disposable approach to consumer goods.

Which is why, when the trash truck pulled up, and I observed the worker empty the cans ... one after the other ... into the SAME space in the back of the vehicle ... I was basically Dorothy learning the truth about the Wizard (so to speak).  All I could think of was how dozens and dozens of my empty Coke Zero bottles that I *thought* were getting a modern respectable final resting place were clogging the landfills due to the deception of those in whom the citizenry puts their trust.

The trash emperors have no damn clothes on, people ... you heard it here first.

THE *OFFICIAL* LOCAL GOVERNMENTAL PLAN (DESPITE WHAT I SAW):
http://gyr.fortlauderdale.gov/greener-government/recycling-waste-reduction

TURNS OUT IT'S BLUE BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE BLUE:
http://www.greenmagonline.com/blue-top-color-for-recycling-containers/

SO ... MAYBE WE'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG ANYWAY:
https://www.wired.com/2015/08/listen-america-need-learn-recycle/