Monday, March 11, 2019

30for30: Best of the Yearbook Photos #20

In just 19 days, the LHS Class of 1989 will celebrate its 30th high school reunion (on Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 7pm in the back room of the infamous Downtown Lounge) ... which is why I've been posting these special TOP 30 lists (see previous lists of Favorite Assignments, Jukebox Memories, and Most Memorable Teachers/Staff).

This month ... it's all about the top 30 best of the yearbook photos (see rules below) -- because our lives were captured and frozen in time circa mid 1989, and seeing as how our own class motto said that we should "live each day so that you will neither be afraid of tomorrow nor ashamed of yesterday", it seems like the perfect opportunity to reflect on the three decades that have passed, by remembering from whence we came.

And this week ... it's all about the key athletic teams that brought prestige to our school and that gave us all a sense of pride -- like this group of field hockey players.  If ever there was a story ready to be turned into a movie, it's this tale of empowered women (well, as empowered as women were allowed to be back in the late eighties), who couldn't win when it came to a final score for fourteen games in a row, but who won so much more what with the camaraderie and relationships and life lessons about stick-to-it-ive-ness and dont-give-up-itude learned on the field.  (And I'm not just saying that for fear someone comes and high-sticks me at the upcoming reunion.)


RULES FOR THIS TOP 30 LIST:  When it comes to the Facebook version of this series, I promise to only tag those who reach out to me to be tagged, because that seems fair.  Clearly there's no way I can feature everything and every body and every group, so I'll pick and choose what I consider to be the best according to me -- which shouldn't stop you from chiming in with your own "best of" shots.  It's my full intent to continue to post unless/until someone's lawyer sends me a "cease and desist" letter (and I'm not sharing my address so that shouldn't happen), and although I'd love to offer up appropriate photo credits where applicable, I'm afraid that information isn't readily available.

NEWS FROM OUR CLASS ON THE FACEBOOK (IF YOU ARE A MEMBER):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189980661939188/