Thursday, December 27, 2018

30for30: Most Memorable Teachers/Staff #5

In just 94 days, the LHS Class of 1989 will celebrate its 30th high school reunion (on Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 7pm in the back room of the infamous Downtown Lounge) ... and to get us excited about that milestone, I'll be presenting four special TOP 30 lists -- a different one for each of the months ahead.

The December list will be the top 30 most memorable teachers/staff (see rules below), and tonight, we're remembering TIMOTHY GARVEY 
(seen here in his yearbook pic looking about as old as many of the students, bonus link below to what seems to be his current job bio at MMI Prep somewhere else in Pennsylvania).


It makes sense that Mr. Garvey is still teaching (as opposed to all the ones on this list for whom I found retirement or obituary notices), because he was most certainly one of the youngest (if not THE youngest) employed at our school.  The rumor was that he was a spy undercover at the high school (the truth was that he worked for the FBI for a bit), and this teacher who tried to teach us physics (and succeeded for the most part -- more about that in a minute) also had the classroom in the auditorium building that was the farthest away from all the others -- over by the suspension room.  That made it super difficult for you to make it to whatever class you had after his in the Library building -- and since I'm almost certain he was also my homeroom teacher that last year, I was only too well aware of that fact.


And, on another personal note, I probably owe him an apology because although I was a pretty good student all through high school, my senioritis started a few months early, and I spent most of Physics passing notes back and forth in an epic way day after day -- instead of learning what I was to be learning.  I'm not necessarily saying he gave up on me at that point ... but I sure do recall him shaking his head a lot in my general direction ...


Here's to you, Mr. Garvey!

RULES FOR THIS TOP 30 LIST:  Honorees must be one of the ninety individuals listed in the faculty pages of the '89 yearbook (which means two thirds of the list are already not going to be referenced).  Honorees may also be selected from the photos of support staff as well (so long as they are on the surrounding pages of the same section).  Honorees must be memorable (if there are no stories, then there will be no post about that person).  Honorees are chosen and ranked by me (if you disagree, start your own list on your own blog).  All memories are believed to be accurate (but are being told through the lens of thirty or more years, so ... you know.)

BONUS LINK TO WHAT SEEMS TO BE HIS CURRENT PROFESSIONAL BIO:

https://www.mmiprep.org/Faculty/Staff/Administration/timothy-garvey.html

NEWS FROM OUR CLASS ON THE FACEBOOK (IF YOU ARE A MEMBER):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189980661939188/