Sunday, December 30, 2018

30for30: Most Memorable Teachers/Staff #2

In just 91 days, the LHS Class of 1989 will celebrate its 30th high school reunion (on Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 7pm in the back room of the infamous Downtown Lounge) ... and to get us excited about that milestone, I'll be presenting four special TOP 30 lists -- a different one for each of the months ahead.

The December list will be the top 30 most memorable teachers/staff (see rules below), and tonight, we're remembering support staff extraordinaire MRS. KEESEY (seen here in her yearbook pic, bonus link below to the last countdown I did for our 25th reunion that included a feature on her).


If you didn't get to interact with Mrs. Keesey, I can honestly say that it was your loss.  In the classroom, she worked with students who needed extra support ... and it was the perfect job for someone like her that had such a great big heart -- and a great big laugh that went along with it.  


And, on a personal note, although I might not have needed academic support, she teamed up with Mr. Miller (#8 in this countdown) to give me the kind of personal and emotional support that I did most desperately need.  By the time I was in my senior year, I was signing myself out of any study periods and hanging out in a number of places I had claimed as my own -- including her office.  At some point, she just became "Polly" to me -- and she even let me store my personal belongings there (as the evil stepmother at home had a tendency to throw out anything of value to me).  She's high on this list because she was one of those in school who saved me and put me on a better path once I ran away from home and set out "on my own" -- a misnomer for sure as I went out "on my own" with dozens of people like her in my corner.


Here's to you, Mrs. Keesey!

RULES FOR THIS TOP 30 LIST:  Honorees must be one of the ninety individuals listed in the faculty pages of the '89 yearbook (which means two thirds of the list are already not going to be referenced).  Honorees may also be selected from the photos of support staff as well (so long as they are on the surrounding pages of the same section).  Honorees must be memorable (if there are no stories, then there will be no post about that person).  Honorees are chosen and ranked by me (if you disagree, start your own list on your own blog).  All memories are believed to be accurate (but are being told through the lens of thirty or more years, so ... you know.)

BONUS LINK THE LAST TIME I SPOKE HIGHLY OF HER:

https://capcognition.blogspot.com/2014/08/bonus-post-fond-memory-10-lhs.html

NEWS FROM OUR CLASS ON THE FACEBOOK (IF YOU ARE A MEMBER):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189980661939188/