Saturday, November 24, 2018

Random Posting for Penn State 11/24/18

Here are 9 Nittany Nuggets from today's football game:

1.)  Pick a bowl ... any bowl!  Actually, just kidding, we'd prefer a New Year's one, of course.  Or New Year's Eve even.  Just not one of those consolation ones around Pearl Harbor Day, please.

2.)  It's well established that the full-contact-whilst-wearing-tights makes football slightly homo-erotic, but shirtless warm-ups may have just added a new gay dimension to the game.
3.)  Sometimes, because I'm not necessarily the sportiest, when I'm watching a game, I kind of wonder WHY some things happen as they do.  Today, I wondered WHY there was such a thing as an extra point/point after, so I had to go research it.  It turns out it's a leftover rugby tradition.  Now you and I both know.
4.)  Sometimes, because I'm not necessarily the sportiest, I'm not up to speed on news not related to Penn State, so I also had to research all the references to Maryland's Jordan McNAIR -- to which I say ... what a sad sad story.
5.)  And just when I think I'm almost informed on things, I see a penalty I've never seen before.  I'm looking at you #82 -- and also at you second #82 -- as I don't think I've heretofore ever seen a punishment for having two people of the same number on the field at the same time.
6.)  I have to say I was a little surprised to hear that Coach FRANKLIN had to put out a plea for fans to show up to the game.  Apparently, the record breaking wet season in PA is to blame (as grass parking lots can't be used), but still.  I mean I thought Penn State fans were the type who would park in Johnstown (somewhere up high, of course, 'cause they are well know for their flooding and all) and walk the rest of the way ...
7.)  Hey announcermen -- I thought it was a bit of a stretch the first time you attempted the play on words by talking about how "sorely" McSORLEY would be missed at the beginning of the game ... so when you brought back that pun to start the second half of the game, it made me groan.
8.)  Hey announcermen -- I'm sure "gap-sound defense" is an established concept ... but when *you* say it, it sounds like a new method of birth control.
9.)  I don't care what anyone else says.  *My* player of the week is going to *have* to be Trace McSORLEY ... despite finally finding the one thing he can't do well -- and that's grow a beard (he reminded me a little bit of a FTM trans person keeping every little hair that shows up after starting hormones -- not that there's anything wrong with that)!

In closing, thanks to all 21 seniors honored at today's game (see bonus link below/to follow for their individual stories) ... and here's to that upcoming bowl game whenever and wherever it might be, and to our opening Saturday game next Labor Day weekend against the Idaho Vandals (?!) ...


FYI ... COMPLAINING ABOUT BOWL GAMES HAS *ALWAYS* BEEN A THING:
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/14/17455798/are-there-too-many-bowl-games

WHERE I LEARNED ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE POINT AFTER:
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/why-are-there-still-extra-point-kicks-rugby-conversion-touchdown-history/1996ok8ducov91vmwgp4dur5x7

THE SAD STORY OF MARYLAND's JORDAN McNAIR:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24351869/maryland-terrapins-football-jordan-mcnair-death-dj-durkin-scandal-line


BONUS LINK ... ALL THE SENIORS:
https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/LongFormArticle/Trace-McSorley-Koa-Farmer-Amani-Oruwariye-among-Lions-set-for-Senior-Day--125174422/#125174422_7