Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 8/15/18

Too old for this ... uber eats thing.

Used in a sentence:  "It has been confirmed that, I am indeed, 'too old for this ... uber eats thing.'"

I know this to be true because a supervisor at a help desk for this company in a country far far away wholeheartedly agreed with me that I WAS too old for this uber eats thing on the *third* call to them tonight whilst trying to arrange for the delivery of the evening meal.

The first call was because my extra special gift card given to me by my employer didn't appear to be applied on the receipt -- and that's when I was told that I must not have applied it appropriately prior to putting things in my shopping cart -- and so I requested that my order be cancelled so that I could start again and do things the right way.

The second call was because although the person who helped me during the first call successfully cancelled my order, the message I was getting whilst I was trying again -- and following the instructions the person who helped me during the first call had given me -- was that "your code has ALREADY been used".  Luckily, for the person who was trying to help me during the second call, an "apply credit now" option suddenly appeared during that second phone call.

The third call was because my attempt at a second order was further stymied because my goal of applying said credit seemed to go unrecognized by the app -- and I insisted on a supervisor when, during the opening salvo in the third call, the help desk employee insisted that my food was in her system showing that it was being delivered 45 minutes before I even ordered it (the supervisor and I figured out the company has a west coast bias and wasn't adjusting for my location on the east coast of the USofA).  Also that supervisor assured me that the receipt I was viewing was only a temporary one and that the final version WOULD reflect an appropriate credit.  I appreciated both of those logical answers -- but I'm not sure I appreciated that, when I said, "I guess I'm just too old for this ...", the supervisor affirmed with quite a few "yeahs".

Which is all the very very long way to say that, after three phone calls and a good 45-60 minutes of my time, I have concluded that this will be my LAST order via this channel, as I am clearly 'too old for this ... uber eats thing.'  (PS ... I have also concluded that, at my advanced age, this will be a new occasional series on this blog ... 'cause I'm bound to find more instances of things for which I am just too old ...)

YES, YOU SHOULD ALMOST ALWAYS ASK FOR A CALL CENTER SUPERVISOR:
https://www.icmi.com/forums/topic59-i-want-to-speak-to-a-supervisor.aspx?page=1

UH-OH ... MAYBE THIS APP THING *ISN'T* THE FUTURE AFTER ALL:
https://www.eater.com/2017/8/29/16214442/restaurant-order-pay-apps-seamless-postmates-uber-eats

MAYBE I SHOULD JUST ACCEPT THE FACT THAT *SENIOR* APPS ARE FOR ME:
http://seniornet.org/blog/16-helpful-apps-for-seniors/