Monday, April 16, 2018

Random Memorial for Monday 4/16/18

Gone but not forgotten:  the fourth (and final) Billy Joel cassette that is finding its way into the trash can (for no other reason than that I also have the same item in CD format).

This one is the second to last one before he retired ... and by "retired", I mean before he went classical ... and then released various and assorted greatest hits compilations ... and then started his live concerting to put his daughter through college.

To me, it will always be the "modern" Billy Joel, because it was released the year I graduated from high school and started a decade's worth of college and other post-graduate education.  As such, many of the tracks are tied to actual experiences -- 'We Didn't Start the Fire" was playing at the cast party where I actually turned over a table at the Lebanon Knights of Columbus long before housewives were doing it ... the lyrics to 'And So It Goes' were pinned to my dorm room door in an awkward attempt to break up with a girlfriend ... 'I Go To Extremes' was frequently blared at a volume of 11 to celebrate the emotional ups and downs of that era.

Al that said, the tune I'll feature will be the one that speaks to a different time in a different day when the Cold War was winding down and we were all realizing that we were more like "the enemy" than we thought.  Maybe we all could benefit from a return trip to 'Leningrad' in modern times ...

COLD WAR KIDS HARD TO KILL UNDER THEIR DESKS IN AN AIR RAID DRILL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgD_-dRZPgs