Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 2/21/18

Spiders are getting uppity.

Used in a sentence:  "After having reached a certain detente with the back yard arachnids, it does appear that the spiders are getting uppity again."

First, a disclaimer:  I am not using "uppity" like a white pundit commenting on post-racial America does, so please allow me the use of this word.

Second, another disclaimer:  After researching to make sure I *could* call spiders uppity without offending anyone, I found out that I probably shouldn't be saying "Hip Hip Hooray" any more, seeing as how the Nazis took that for their own phrasing to round up Jews during WWII (who knew?) ...

Third, yet another disclaimer:  The back yard arachnids of which I am speaking are the tiny colorful crab spiders, as the giant Golden Orb weavers I've previously mentioned on the social media all left the area before/during/immediately after Hurricane Irma this past fall.

Fourth, a final disclaimer:  once I put forth my official complaint (in a moment), it may make more sense to actually say that the spiders are getting down again.

Here's the issue.  As someone who has already disclosed that I talk to the animals -- all the animals -- I had previously felt confident that I had an agreement with the spiders akin to zoning rules and regs that they were all free to web away as much as they wanted to so long as any webby creations were above 5'9 and 3/4" (my height before middle age wore me down and sloped my shoulders with the weight of modern living).  However, within the last 24 hours, I've walked into at least three webs whilst executing my usual back yard related tasks.

So I don't know what's gotten them acting up (uppity?) ... but I'm going to blame 24 hour news (they do cause a lot of problems in modern society) and I'm going to have to hold a meeting tomorrow to put everyone in their respective places (and by places, I mean in all the airspace *above* my height).  I'll let you know if I get any pushback (unless I get committed, of course, and then any updates will be dependent on whether the asylum has quality wifi).

SPIDERS MAY BE UPPITY, BUT THEY SURE AREN'T SLACKERS:
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151126-the-worlds-biggest-spider-web-can-span-an-entire-river

SURPRISE, YOU A RACIST:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/24/offensive-words-_n_4144472.html

LET'S JUST PUT EVERYTHING ON HOLD AND MARVEL AT NATURE:
https://www.thephotoargus.com/30-astonishing-photographs-of-spider-webs/