Monday, February 26, 2018

Random Memorial for Monday 2/26/18

Gone but not forgotten:  John B Anderson.

Note that the B is important, as that letter distinguishes this John Anderson from the John Anderson who was just a-swingin' on the front porch with Charlotte -- who is still alive (John, that is -- I don't know nothin' about Charlotte's post-swingin' life).

I should probably also clarify that this John Anderson (with the B) actually died in early December, but it took me a bit to catch up on the news ... and so, in typical fashion, I'm a bit late at my memorializing of the man.

Only in his passing did I see that there are both Chicago and FTL connections (two places I've called home in my adult life) in that he was born in Rockford and that he retired to be a part time resident here in Ft Lauderdale (half the year here and half the year in DC) and that he taught at a local law school for 20 some years.

The reason *I* knew John with the B?  He was the first independent candidate for President that I can remember ... as an 8 year old in 1980 when John B got 7% of the vote (and no electoral college points ... 'cause electoral-college-politics and all).  As the story goes, John B was upset that the Republican party was turning too far to the right (proof that even in pre-Facebook times, the challenges we all face today were actually a part of the ages), and so he struck out on his own.  I can draw a through-line from John B to Ross (of Ross Perot fame), what with Ross being the first Presidential vote that this independent thinker I ever cast.

You who were my earliest memory of someone who recognized that our two party system is a tad broken ... you will be missed.

A BELATED RIP TO LOCAL BOY JOHN *B* ANDERSON:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/obituaries/fl-reg-john-anderson-prez-candidate-obit-20171206-story.html

HE DIDN'T MAKE THE TOP 10 LIST OF INDEPENDENT PRESIDENTIAL PEOPLE:
https://people.howstuffworks.com/10-third-party-presidential-candidates.htm

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE ALIVE (AND SWINGING) JOHN ANDERSON:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvGaSu1XoF0