Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 5/10/17

Bug Bounty AF.

Used in a sentence:  "My notes in my phone where I keep track of ideas on things about which I might post simply said 'Bug Bounty AF'."

Mind you, it took me a bit of time to figure out that I wasn't using AF as the kids do nowadays (for young 'uns, it's a qualifier to signify an extreme state of the thing it follows:  i.e.  hungry af, broke af, high af -- which are the first three things that popped into my mind when I thought of today's young 'uns ... and which is proof positive that I am officially old af).  And then it took me another bit of time to not get confused in thinking that the "bug bounty" was a government effort to control the Zika virus in soFlo (similar to the established python bounty program where people get paid by the government to rid the 'glades of the non-native snake that is slowly destroying that unique eco-system)

Instead, that particular capitalized AF stood for Air Force ... and then a quick google search reminded me that I had jotted down a note about the thing known as a Bug Bounty because the Air Force had announced it's biggest Bug Bounty ever.  Then, being the age that I am, I had to do a little more research to learn that Bug Bounties are a thing where "white-hat" hacktivists purposefully attack software programs to find bugs, for which they are a paid a handsome sum (or pretty sum if said hacktivist is female, I presume).

We've come such a long long way from the days of making the computer scroll your name across the screen in an infinite loop -- which may or may not have been the highlight of my early high school computing classes in the late 80's.

BUG BOUNTY AF YO:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/26/air-force-launches-bug-bounty-program/

HERE'S TO THE HACKERS!:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2014/04/03/hackers-government-cybersecurity-private-and-public-sector/7259729/

IT'S TODAY'S GET RICH QUICK SCHEME FOR THE YOUNG FOLK!:
http://www.newsweek.com/2016/02/12/white-hat-hackers-keep-bug-bounty-421357.html