Monday, March 13, 2017

Random Memorial for Monday 3/13/17

Gone but not forgotten:  the alligator's love affair with the space shuttle.

I'm of the space shuttle generation.  I remember hearing in my youth how this and that was "space shuttle technology".  I was in 9th grade when the Challenger exploded and my hometown school found itself turning on the televisions that were hidden behind the rolling chalkboards that separated the classroom from the teacher's office (in those classrooms like Mr. C's that was lucky enough to have one in the room at all times).  I look at any o ring I come across with trepidation.

What I didn't know, though, before moving down here to southern Florida and reading (or hearing about it ... or seeing it at a museum or something), was that alligators loved the space shuttle too.  Like "if you love it so much, why don't you marry it" kind of love (sorry, my mind is now stuck in 9th grade).  Like, "hey good lookin, why don't you come over here and let me have my way with you" kind of love.

No -- seriously.  The sound of the sonic boom overhead would make the gators come up out of the water and bellow like they do during mating season.  (Apparently, a B flat on a tuba will also get them all horned up [pardon the pun].)

The opportunity for lovesick alligators to get the chance to hit on their special shuttle friend ever again, you will be missed (especially by those gators)!

GATORS APPARENTLY LOVE THEM SOME ROCKETSHIPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoicxc4iKbo

GATORS ALSO APPARENTLY LOVE THEM SOME B FLAT FROM A TUBA:
http://www.upi.com/Male-gators-attracted-to-tubas-B-flat/16101181327395/

SPEAKING OF SHUTTLE RETIREMENTS:
http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2012/04/space-shuttle-discoverys-retirement-party/#1